Sunday, March 24, 2013

Homemade Marshmallows for Easter.

SShhh.... Don't tell my family.  I am bringing these to easter dinner.



I made raspberry one day and then chocolate the next day. This was my first time making marshmallows from scratch and I would do it again.  This was so much fun!  Can you say "STICKY", messy, fun?

Since I never made candy from scratch before I needed a candy thermometer.  If you have never used one, a word of caution, once it is in the pot, all the metal parts start getting very hot.  Mine read over 200 Degrees Fahrenheit when I decided I needed to adjust the way it was sitting in the pot.  That little clip that holds it on felt like it was surface-of-the-sun hot when I grabbed it to reattach to the pot.  OUCH!



It's really interestng to watch the mixture turn from something that looks like dirty dishwasher water to the creamy, foamy and sweet goodness that marshmallows made at home can give.






This is so sticky and stringy.  If it touches anything it is not budging.



Use lots of confectioners sugar to coat the pan before pouring in the mixture. It is very sticky.



After they are cut they are a bit sticky.  You'll need to coat them in confectioners sugar. I thought that tossing them was the most fun way to do it.


1 comment: